Friday, June 8, 2007

Local Resource Networks

Photo by gardngrl

It has been some time since I’ve written anything substantive for this blog. I’ll admit that I’ve been waiting for more reader comments, since they are frequently excellent sources of additional data that gets me thinking and helps me generate more content for more posts. Unfortunately things have been pretty quiet on the reader comment front for a few weeks and so I’m back to scratching my head and searching for content that will inform and interest all of you.

I’m happy to report that I have a few ideas marinating, but each of them will require me to do some research, and right now I simply don’t have the time. So, given the constraints of my personal and professional life I’d like to write today about Local Resource Networks (LRNs). What are they, you ask? LRNs are generally not-for-profit enterprises whose sole purpose it is to facilitate and encourage the development and patronage of local businesses and organizations. One example of an LRN can be viewed at http://www.heliosnetwork.org/. This particular LRN happens to be truly local to me, as I’m a resident of Lane County. There are other LRNs in other locales, however, and this is a good thing. It would be even better if there were LRNs in, let’s say, every town with a population of at least 10,000 people. Why? Well, let’s take a look at some of the things that LRNs can do for a community.

~ LRNs can, with citizen input, develop local measures that can be used to assess needs and develop responsive programs.

~LRNs can develop surveys and studies to help a community learn more about the unique strengths and liabilities of a place.

~LRNs can serve as networks that link people in search of services to local service providers.

~LRNs can provide matching grants to encourage the growth and development of local enterprises that meet local needs.

~LRNs can promote and facilitate discussion about local needs and initiatives.

~LRNs can provide and promote locally-responsive educational opportunities for community members.

This list is far from exhaustive, but it covers many of the more vital functions of an LRN. In the absence of an LRN, a town or city is likely to be without a means of locally-based networking. In developed nations most of us learn about products and services, and even community events, from viewing television advertisements or from reading our local papers. In most cases, only those companies and institutions with advertising budgets (ie large and frequently not local) are likely to reach us through these channels. This is why, in my opinion, many places need an LRN. Serving the specific needs of a specific locality, LRNs facilitate the much needed linkages between community, services and industry.

I’m very interested in developing a list of LRNs in the U.S. If any of you readers from outside the Lane County region have an LRN to add to the list, please do. I’d love to hear from you.

A fantastic Friday to all!

No comments: